Application for Instars Program Fellowships
Society for Freshwater Science Annual Meeting
The Society for Freshwater Science announces the Instars Program Fellowships. The Instars program is a new mentoring opportunity for undergraduate students from under-represented groups who are interested in the study of freshwater. We hope to inspire and excite students about our science by offering activities with other undergraduates, graduate student mentors, and professional SFS members that will include:
- A half-day, pre-meeting orientation workshop
- Networking activities with peers and mentors during the meeting
- Attendance at plenary sessions and a full range of special, technical, and poster sessions chosen by students
- Opportunities for undergraduates to present their own research in general sessions with friendly review from SFS members
- Post-meeting networking and linking to research and educational opportunities in aquatic science
Instars Fellows will be of two types: (1) fellows funded at least partially by the program, and (2) fellows supported by their sponsoring institution or by private funds. Funded fellows supported by the program will be provided with support for annual meeting registration fees, travel, and lodging for the pre-meeting activities and the annual meeting. Additional fellows are encouraged to participate in the Instars program, but will need funds from their sponsoring institution or private funds. Student interest in freshwater science is a priority for funding Instars Fellows; potential for presentation by the student during the conference, and the student’s year in school will also be considered but would not preclude funding.
Please note the following eligibility criteria:
- Participants must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada, Mexico, or the United States and be undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) that leads to a baccalaureate or associates degree. Spring 2019 graduates are eligible. Graduate students are encouraged to contact the Instars planning committee to apply to participate as Instars Mentors.
- For the purposes of these awards, applicants must belong to one or more of the following groups that have traditionally been underrepresented in freshwater sciences: Black/African Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans, Indigenous Alaskans, Native Pacific Islanders (Hawaiian/Polynesian/Micronesian), Asian Americans, Indian, first generational students, and persons with disabilities.
When completing the full application, please type all requested information in the spaces provided. Do not leave any of the boxes blank, but rather enter "na" if a category is not applicable. Academic transcripts may be submitted as a PDF file.
If you have any questions regarding your Instars Fellowship application, please contact Checo Colon-Gaud(firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you experience any technical difficulties in submitting your application, please contact the web editor (email@example.com).